Blue HID Look Bulbs - Opinions Please :)

General discussion

Moderator: PowderJZX

sam726

Blue HID Look Bulbs - Opinions Please :)

Post by sam726 »

Hi guys,
I have been thinking about importing some hid blue/white look bulbs. They have a colour temperature of 8500k so give off a white / blue tinted light. I had these in my car ages ago but cant find them on the market anymore and all the other 'blue look' bulbs ive bought are just yellow crap. Below are some pictures of when they were in my chaser. Please guys let me know a couple things; is there a market? at what price? and also whether a 7500k white temperature would be better on the market, basically 8500k but without the blue tint. If i was to bring these in they would probably be selling at around $30, what do you guys think?
ImageImage

Honest opinions please.
Thanks

PowderJZX

Re: Blue HID Look Bulbs - Opinions Please :)

Post by PowderJZX »

i like ^^
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

Just get a HID conversion, it's better.
Most blue bulbs are 'okay' but they're no comparison to proper HID's in terms of brightness, colour and power efficiency:)

I used to run blue halogen bulbs but they kept breaking when going out for spirited drives on bumpy roads so I gave up on them.

if you do decide to go with blue replacement bulbs remember to also wire in a relay or else you'll burn up your wiring/switch as it's only supposed to be for 55-60w where most of these blue bulb replacements are 100w for the extra brightness.

My previous AE85 had PasswordJDM bulbs and they were probably the best replacement halogens i've used so far. Otherwise if you can get them from the states, there's a company called 'EuroDezigns' who can export some very good quality ones however they're quite expensive (70-$100 incl shipping to nz).

Stay away from the 'Ultra Blue' Narva ones as they're shit - only give a blue tinge to the lens when off and yellowish when on.

sam726

Post by sam726 »

The bulbs i am looking at have a rating of between 40-65w depending on the size. There are also 90/100w variants available of the main sizes but im assuming while these would be brighter they'd be illegal and more prone to damage wiring etc...?

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

They aren't illegal as you can't really tell. Just get a relay kit from Jaycar or Dick Smith. If they're going in the highbeams then you'll get away with it as you don't really drive around with them on.

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

I've noticed that although the 'HID look' halogens look cool, they don't light up the road as well as yellowish standard bulbs. If you can find some HID look lights that actually help me see where i'm going, i'd be interested in some.

Proper HID's in a non HID housing are illegal as the light splays out everywhere much like high beams, they blind oncoming traffic and don't give you a proper cut off line. I do alot of night driving so I see this shit pretty often, if I see one of these buggas coming towards me I always put my high beams on to blind them back, cause i'm just a c#nt like that :lol:

Factory HID's

HID's fitted into a non-HID housing

JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

^^ does depend on the car though. Non HID Projector housings generally will have a good cut off line regardless of halogen or xenon. eg. fl s13, fl s14, s15 etc.

sam726

Post by sam726 »

If your car has projector housing i'd recommend an hid kit but if it doesn't then these bulbs are a good alternative as non-projector housing just scatters the light from hids and blinds all the drivers haha.

MissJZX

Post by MissJZX »

HID Kit ftw. imo
Yes I'm a girl & yes, I know how to rebuild an engine. <3 hehehe.
Facefail - http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/MissMiaBellaBaby
JDM Looooooove<3 4DR<3

Bosozoku_GX71

Post by Bosozoku_GX71 »

na i honestly think white/blue lights have gone out of fashion. They were awesome when you could tell a car was new as because it wou;d have blue or white lights and then you would see the odd modified car running them and it was even cooler, and then, like those audi led's, every single ricer in his piece of shit was running them and they died then and there. thats for me at least. Im back to loving my yellow as shit old jdm headlights. Its like orange indicators being cool again.
JZ = engine code
X = Chassis
71 = Series

therefore... jzx71