Radiator Top Tank Browning + Coolant Change Q's

General discussion

Moderator: PowderJZX

Tofu

Radiator Top Tank Browning + Coolant Change Q's

Post by Tofu »

Hey Team,
I've had the JZX100 for nearly 8 months now and the radiator has always had a brownish coloured top tank. I'm planning on doing a few more power mods in the following months and perhaps beating it around a track day or two. The only thing I am a little worried about is the radiator. I've heard lots of stories of people having the dreadded discoloured 'brown' top tank which is prone to cracking yet there's been no evidence from anyone who has had one crack/leak from it.

Can anybody confirm whether this myth is true or if it's just UV damage which has worn the paint off?

Also, a coolant change is in order soon so is it a requirement to use genuine 'Red' Toyota coolant, or can I just use the standard anti boil green stuff?

Ta,
Phil

Tofu

Re: Radiator Top Tank Browning + Coolant Change Q's

Post by Tofu »

Just had a look on JZX100 Forums and i've found an answer about the Coolant. The green alternative coolant is alot more corrosive which can cause all sorts of issues with the alloy block.

Will be seeing you for some coolant Pete :)

Also, does anyone on the forum work in the Radiator industry? Wouldn't mind getting a replacement unit priced up if it's best for me to replace the radiator and I don't want a cheap crap aluminium one if the oem one does a better job at a better price + I would like to keep the viscous fan and shroud.

Looonie

Post by Looonie »

Tofu wrote:Just had a look on JZX100 Forums and i've found an answer about the Coolant. The green alternative coolant is alot more corrosive which can cause all sorts of issues with the alloy block.

Will be seeing you for some coolant Pete :)

Also, does anyone on the forum work in the Radiator industry? Wouldn't mind getting a replacement unit priced up if it's best for me to replace the radiator and I don't want a cheap crap aluminium one if the oem one does a better job at a better price + I would like to keep the viscous fan and shroud.
Give Jason a ring, he'll sort you out happier than a schoolboy with a lifetime supply of lube.

And Toyota red FTMFW.

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

Looonie wrote:Give Jason a ring, he'll sort you out happier than a schoolboy with a lifetime supply of lube.
Sounds kinda fun. Haha!
Thanks Dave. You're meaning TOYWGN/Jason? If so, i'll get in touch with him,

Ta,

Looonie

Post by Looonie »

Tofu wrote:
Looonie wrote:Give Jason a ring, he'll sort you out happier than a schoolboy with a lifetime supply of lube.
Sounds kinda fun. Haha!
Thanks Dave. You're meaning TOYWGN/Jason? If so, i'll get in touch with him,

Ta,
Indeedlydoo.

speedracer_nz

Post by speedracer_nz »

yip jason will be able to tell you hes done more radiators then i have had hot dinners, btw my top tank cracked on the 91 from just being old, it showed signs of cracking way before it leaked though

han16

Post by han16 »

Oh dam, same engine - same issue with my radiator here.

As the Mark 4 supra uses the same rad I can just pick up an alloy one for my Soarer, which is planned for after the paint work and before any sort of turbo upgrade to the 1JZ. No idea if its the same on a jzx?

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

i always use 'toyota red'...