Why I gave up on NZPC a while ago...

General discussion

Moderator: PowderJZX

Alex

Why I gave up on NZPC a while ago...

Post by Alex »

Alex

Re: Why I gave up on NZPC a while ago...

Post by Alex »

http://www.performancecar.co.nz/article ... driven-141

oh and this.. it seems the nzpc people are more keen on finding attractive women than nice cars haha.

shweatypox

Post by shweatypox »

Lol, attractive? But yeah I went off NZPC back when that pink Merc made the cover, I have every issue from about number 14. I was finding the mag boring. I have just started reading it again though (because I convinced the boss to grab a subscription on Barter Card :) ) I see lofreq and nick got some little photos in current issue

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

i really appreciate the production of the mag - the page layout and graphic editing is really tight, its come a hell of a long way from just slapping rectangular photos onto white paper. the colour schemes, text design, its all really slick, compared to alot of other mags out there - so i really give em credit for it.

content is hard in a place this small with that few people scouring around trying to find stuff to put in the mag. i think if you think about it, its alot harder than it looks. the daily driven section is not so much about cool cars as it is trying to make the mag successful in a wider market. if they can get more people to pick it up and buy it than just hard core car fans, it helps the budget. so standard -ish cars with enthusiastic people get in, and if they are chicks so much the better - for the mag that is.

if you only wanted a hard core mag, its been tried, and failed several times under many other titles. cant be done in a place this small.

the tastes pedey has in recognizing the wider scene outside this country, bringing in people from speedhunters etc evento write a tiny blurb, aaron mai from japan and his contributions, all the content, is a huge juggle - i really think it deserves more credit than it gets. if you look back a hundred issues... its come a hell of a way

Bosozoku_GX71

Post by Bosozoku_GX71 »

lofreq wrote:i really appreciate the production of the mag - the page layout and graphic editing is really tight, its come a hell of a long way from just slapping rectangular photos onto white paper. the colour schemes, text design, its all really slick, compared to alot of other mags out there - so i really give em credit for it.

content is hard in a place this small with that few people scouring around trying to find stuff to put in the mag. i think if you think about it, its alot harder than it looks. the daily driven section is not so much about cool cars as it is trying to make the mag successful in a wider market. if they can get more people to pick it up and buy it than just hard core car fans, it helps the budget. so standard -ish cars with enthusiastic people get in, and if they are chicks so much the better - for the mag that is.

if you only wanted a hard core mag, its been tried, and failed several times under many other titles. cant be done in a place this small.

the tastes pedey has in recognizing the wider scene outside this country, bringing in people from speedhunters etc evento write a tiny blurb, aaron mai from japan and his contributions, all the content, is a huge juggle - i really think it deserves more credit than it gets. if you look back a hundred issues... its come a hell of a way
yea man i agree with you, its really well done, and sure sometimes there may be a car you dont agree on but who cares, for example, they raved about that joker ute for month and months and i hated it but it doesnt mean im guna stop buying it, they have got to do what ever helps them sell the mag. they cant please everybody but i reacon they get pretty close
JZ = engine code
X = Chassis
71 = Series

therefore... jzx71

Alex

Post by Alex »

Yeh it's come a long way, I to used to buy it alot,
But now I don't because every time I do I regret it now,
Theres a new mag out called g force, quite good

l SIC l

Post by l SIC l »

If you consider some of the content you may not find interesting or even deserving of a place in the magazine, it's just because they are experimenting with different ideas to attract other audiences (females, for example), rather than just the die-hard fans like Nigel said and he also brought up the idea that our country is so small and the potential for finding new builds regularly is just not realistic, so they are trying to show people that if you have a car (even if it isn't modified 'to the max') you can still get in the magazine.

It's usually females in general that don't go to the extent of males when modifying a vehicle, so even if they have only done a few things like; lowering, wheels, suspension, exhaust, etc. they are trying to portray the message that it isn't going unrecognized - this attracts more females and other local car owners in general to come forth and give out the message that all-walks of the automotive scene are welcome and appreciated.

At least that's my perspective on the topic :)
1995 Toyota Supra - Twin-turbo - 6-speed - Aerotop
No ABS. No Traction Control.

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

chick in the swift has a banging rack............ and also that atenza is sweet i would so roll that for a daily

anyhow
i to have gone off the mag a number of yrs ago ( in saying that its taken me this long to pick up the mag with your car in it nige ) it has come a long way but the biggest thing that grinds my gears is the lack of tech articles and write ups about the car and its mods, but as the mag evolves and so do the readers you have to change with the times

internet blogs are for me love reading the likes of engineered to slide, garage slipway , stance nation beeoneoneoh plus other good reads
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

Alex

Post by Alex »

mmm SIC i can see that would make sense,
not something i would pay money to read though..
each to their own :D

yup im the same jarred, blogs are the new magazines imo !

l SIC l

Post by l SIC l »

Yeah, that's true... I guess that's why when you see average cars with a hot owner show up in the mag, rather than Rupert and his Mum's Ford Probe, you get what they're trying to do :)

Although I still buy the mags, I do enjoy a good blog that little bit more than the mags to be honest.
1995 Toyota Supra - Twin-turbo - 6-speed - Aerotop
No ABS. No Traction Control.